Get Wet and Come Swim with the Big Sharks Saturdays, May through June!
What it is:
Get comfortable in the open water and/or practice your swim technique in a lake within the St. Louis Metro area! Each Open Water Swim will take place most Saturday Mornings from May 2nd through June 27th. Lake will be open for participants from 8:00 am – 10:00 am. Come join us each Saturday and swim as many laps as you like. For sighting and safety we will have buoys in place. Each OWS session will be staffed by Backyard Lifeguards professional life guards and be accompanied by additional programming. Please note- this is a USA Triathlon insured event, as is the Triathlon – participants will be required to purchase a 1-Day or Annual USAT license that is not included in the fee to swim. If you plan on doing several OWS events- please consider the annual license.
Where: The lake is located at New Town in St. Charles and is very similar to the Motion Orthopaedic Newtown Triathlon swim course. The perimeter course is .62 miles and in most areas you can touch the bottom.
Cost: $20.00 per session. Special wetsuit rental rate is $10.00 per session (2 rental payments can be applied to purchase your very own setsuit). Fee structure covers venue, event sanctioning, professional lifeguards, equipment, additional programming and staff support.
GO BIG Triathlon Training Group: Bundle all of the events and way more and join the GO BIG Triathlon Training Group (2015 Information Coming Soon!)
Support: Big Shark Bicycle Company will have a rental wetsuit fleet on site every week. For athletes who would like to run or ride after the OWS we will be providing an on site bicycle mechanic as well as a ride and run leader for post swim brick training.
Post swim brick training: Each and every Saturday following the scheduled programming we will have run and ride leaders from the St. Louis Tri Club to complete your brick training. We will meet at the registration tent at 10:30 at which point we will divide into our respective run or ride groups. All abilities welcome.
Pre-Season Wetsuit Sale: Blue Seventy Wetsuits is offering a special purchase window on all of their suits from April 12th through May 17th. All special order suits will be 20% off. Thank YOU, Blue Seventy! For more information and to arrange a fitting click here.
- May 2nd- Wetsuit Clinic sponsored by Blue Seventy. Backyard Lifeguards will provide an orientation and safety clinic.
- May 9th- Wetsuit Clinic sponsored by Blue Seventy. Free fleet demos.
- May 16th- Wetsuit Clinic sponsored by Blue Seventy. Free fleet demos. Big River Running will be on hand for a clinic on common mistakes/problems, shoe technology and technique.
- May 23rd- No Swim, Memorial Day Weekend.
- May 30th- Free post Swim Clinic by Nutriformance on Stretching, Warm Up, Cool Down and Foam Rolling.
- June 6th- Adult & Kids Swim to Bike Transition Clinic. Big Shark/Pedal Hard will offer a Bike Fit & Training with Power Clinic.
- June 13th- Adult & Kids Bike to Swim Transition Clinic. SRAM equipment demo/demo bikes.
- June 20th- Free clinic on Training with Power, Proper Fit and Race Pace by Big Shark/Pedal Hard.
- June 27th- FAQ talk on tapering and how to adjust training prior to an event.
New Town at St. Charles: www.newtownatstcharles.com